SIX TIPS TO SAVE ON YOUR ELECTRIC BILLS
Lafayette, LA (October 9, 2019) – Lafayette Utilities System (LUS) is celebrating Public Power Week (#PublicPowerWeek), Oct. 6- 12, along with the American Public Power Association and more than 2,000 other community-owned, not-for-profit electric utilities that collectively provide electricity to 49 million Americans. To mark this week, LUS offers a few tips on how to save energy and money in your home, while caring for the environment:
· Plug energy leaks with weather stripping and caulking, and be sure your house is properly insulated — you can save up to 20 percent on heating/cooling bills, and make your home more comfortable.
· Clean or change filters regularly. A dirty furnace or air conditioning filter will slow airflow and make the system work harder to keep you warm or cool.
· Install a programmable thermostat to save up to 10 percent on cooling and heating costs.
· Wash clothes in cold water. Heating the water in a washer uses 90 percent of the energy used to wash clothes. According to Energy Star, by switching to cold water, you can save $30-$40 every year.
· Use energy-efficient light bulbs including halogen incandescents, CFLs, and LEDs to reduce energy use by as much as 80 percent.
· Turn off all lights, appliances and electronics not in use. Better still, use a power strip and turn off devices and lights that are not in use to cut standby power, to save $100 a year on your electricity bill.
“Using energy wisely to lower monthly electric bills is important to Lafayette residents,” said interim-director Jeffrey Stewart. “While we are sharing these tips during Public Power Week, we hope our community will maintain energy efficiency all year round.”
LUS invites community members to join us Thursday, October 10th from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at our Customer Service center located at 1875 W. Pinhook Road to learn more about public power.
LUS employees will be on-hand to talk about:
Utility Conservation Programs
Power Line Safety
And much more
Today, LUS has over 400 employees proudly serving the city of Lafayette.